Friday, May 20, 2011

Andrews' Raiders

I read this book in just a few seconds over 2hrs. Its the story of the great train heist by a band of Union soldiers during the Civil War ........ although the attempt was unsuccessful, the early stages of its success is quite a read. I had heard about it before, but finally decided to read the story. A little less than half the twenty some men that tried to steal the Confederate engine the 'General' were finally hug, while over half of them finally made it back to the Union lines is quite a story, plus all of them were first recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. When most of the Union raiders where being transferred from Chattanooga to Atlanta in boxcars, the engine on the train was the General, go figure; another strange quirk of history. As I was reading the book memories concerning it began to float back into my mind. I remembered that in the County Historical/Genealogical Library there were copies of books, and newspaper articles, about this raid .......... then I remembered that out at the County Historical Museum [in my home town] there was a whole gallery dedicated to this Raid. Books, articles, huge pictures of different phases of the raid, etc.. So on my way out of town, from visiting with mom, I stopped by the museum, and asked the director about it and she told me that the Union engineer, William Knight, who finally escaped to freedom through the Underground Railroad was a resident of a town in our county - matter of fact I have an uncle and aunt living there, and used to have more relatives in that very town. My, my, this world is getting smaller.
FEUERLICHT, Roberta Strauss. Crowell-Collier Press. New York, New York. 1963
ISBN: [I can't find one; unless this is it, though I'm suspecting it might simply
be a local library number] 31348000208245
Crowell-Collier is a subsidy of The Macmillian Company, New York.

2 comments:

  1. This post reminds me that we always had an HO replica of "The General" which ran in a circle around the Christmas tree every year. Alas, I think my Mom pitched it after my Dad died.

    Women just don't appreciate Civil War history.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know they had replica's of the 'General' but that sounds cool. I don't think the lack of appreciating history is confined to women; maybe their just the poster children?!

    ReplyDelete