Tuesday, November 1, 2011

never, never assume

I don't know how many times I have heard the admonition, 'never, never assume.' I have been asked to officiate at the memorial service of a dear old saint in our church, and this morning, after breakfast decided to stop by the Funeral Home just to get an early copy of the obituary. While perusing it in the Director's office I noticed that the dear old saint was survived by a daughter-in-law whose funeral I had
just officiated at only two weeks ago. Going back to my office, I called the deceased's daughter to verify the facts and sure enough the funeral home had failed to make the correction .................. now not only was the dear saint's daughter distressed at hearing that news, but she had also noted that a charity they wished donations to go to had not been mentioned. Well, I've been reminded again, never assume, and always check early. Now I'm not thinking I would have mentioned the daughter-in-law as still surviving, but sometimes in the midst an event you go on auto-mode ......
Such is life
Eutychus.

2 comments:

  1. Families need help with these little details. I'm normally not one to interfere, but sometimes it's better to risk something than to allow additional stress to occur.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I think I got this right, you called the daughter of the deceased and not the deceased daughter-in-law ;)

    Can I take a guess at which funeral home you're dealing with

    ReplyDelete