Tuesday, November 15, 2011

THE WAY.

I loved this movie, and plan to purchase the dvd when it becomes available. It ranks right up with Field of Dreams, and The Notebook in my estimation. Its the story about a father [Martin Sheen] who takes the sacred pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela where supposedly St.James is buried. The route is called Camino - the way. I'm not going into details because you can easily find those, and other endorsements on the website. Let me say that this movie was spiritually, and relationally, inspiring to say the least. It was not only about the journey of a father, with his sons ashes but also about a group of three other people who for their own reasons make the pilgrimage together. A woman from a failed relationship in which she had aborted her baby; a dutchman walking the route hoping to lose weight so his wife will regain the love she once had for him; and a writer suffering writer's block. How each of them handle their personal dilemna while traveling the Way has lessons for all of us.

I like Martin Sheen as an actor. His role in 'West Wing' was one of my favorites. I even purchased a book about the whole story of West Wing. Rarely did I agree with most of the opinions taken on both the program and Martin Sheen, but I admired his acting....there is something about it that takes you to a place past the issues; I feel his passion in whatever scene he is playing .. and this movie about a father and son relationship is no exception. The many interviews that both Martin and his son, the director of this movie, share are deeply personal. For those looking for blood, violence, raw language and sex, this movie will be complete bore; but for those looking for something lasting they will not go away empty! Some religious leaders like Rick Warren and the Archbishop of New York have recommended it. Go and see, but definitely not alone; its a movie that cries for its viewers to be with a
companion, friend or foe.
ENJOY

3 comments:

  1. More than seeing this movie, I'd like to do the walk to Santiago de Compostela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, we missed you this morning at coffee, but I thought you might like to know that Rich was talking about this movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich Moore saw this movie??? you've got to be kidding?
    I'd like to walk it to, but I'd be DAYS behind you!

    ReplyDelete