Monday, November 7, 2011

What a fun day at home!

Last Thursday afternoon and Friday proved to be great fun! While mom and I were picking up one of her prescriptions at Walmart we ran into my cousin Sonny. Now Sonny was a close relative/friend of my aunt Tom. Yes, I said 'aunt Tom,' that's what everyone in the family and close friends called her 'Tom.' She was definitely a tom-boy. We sat down at the table in a Subway restaurant there and swapped a few family stories. Sonny told me about the time he and aunt Tom were in a garden, I have no idea what they were doing there and he didn't elaborate .... but anyway, my dad was picking up spoiled peaches and throwing them at Sonny and Tom. Sonny got tired of it, and my dad being older and bigger he wasn't going to fight him .........well Tom happened to have her bb gun with her, so Sonny told her, "give me your bb gun," and the next time dad bent down to get a peach Sonny shot him square in the butt. Then Sonny said Tom and I ran for our lives, needless to say 'dad wasn't a happy camper,' but hey it stopped him from throwing rotten salvos of peaches at them. The amazing thing about all this is Sonny says he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a gun even standing inside the barn!! I then shared with Sonny that his mom, my dad's oldest sibbling, had gone on vacation to Maine two years with my family to babysit my sister and I while mom and dad where out hunting for deer and bear in the Maine wilderness - he was surprised, and told me he must have been in the military at that time cause he had never heard the story.

Later Friday morning, we were returning to mom's house from downtown and we went past a home, on mom's street, where some old friends of ours used to live. The oldest daughter, Marcia and I, [she was a year older than me]used to walk over a mile one way to high school. We thought she lived there, but didn't know. Anyway as we're driving past there is a lady getting into a truck in the drive-way so I stopped, got out and went over to talk with her. Come to find out it was Marcia's daughter, she lived there now. I told her who I was and that Marcia and I used to walk to school; that Marcia, her sister Susie, and brother David and Danny went to the same church; and that Marcia's family vacationed with my family once in Maine. She said Marcia and her dad were doing well, and she would let Marcia know I stopped by. Wow! that was cool .............. old friendships updated!!!

Have a great day
Eutychus.

No comments:

Post a Comment