Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pumpkins & Field Mice

PUMPKINS
A couple weekends ago mom came to stay with us for a few days, which literally turned into two nights and not quite two whole days ......... which for mom is a long vacation away from home. While she was here I thought I would take her for a field trip out to the pumpkin patch that our grandkids love to visit while in town near halloween time. They were only going to be open two more days, so mom and I decided to stop by before we picked up the good wife from work. I pulled the car up to the pumpkin store and went inside to buy some hot cider and the sugar donuts we'd come for .... only mom wasn't coming into the shop. I asked the man who came to help me if there was an elderly lady in the car outside, 'yah, he said but she's crawling over something?' I went outside and sure enough there was mom crawling over the console in the front set to get out on the driver's side; I had left my door open! What in the world are you doing? I asked. Somewhat disgusted she replied, 'this is the second today you have not unlocked my door!!' Since mom didn't ride in my car very often, and I forgot she didn't know how to unlock her door ........ she was locked in, but was also just as determined to get a sugar donut! [Mom, craves sugar cookies and sugar donuts]
Picture it if you can, an 81 yr. old woman climbing over the front console, with her one leg hiked up in the air over the steering wheel .......... not bad for 81!
Later the good wife laughed so hard, and so did mom, that I think there were a few wet undies!!

MICE .....................Field Mice
This morning at our usual breakfast niche, over eggs, sausage, home fries and biscuits and gravy, mom and I were discussing her childhood. Somehow we had gotten on the subject of when her dad was employed only part time by the railroad and mom,
her parents and her next oldest sister lived on a tomato farm. Grandpa/grandma farmed about 10-12 acres of tomatoes, selling them in town to a middle man who sold them to Campbells factory about 45 minutes away. Mom said 'you're not going to believe this, but when mom was out gathering tomatoes she would place a blanket in the yard where she could see us, and my sister and I would play. From time to time grandma would find baby field mice [which were a'plenty in the fields] and bring them to the girls to play with. Mom said she and her sister played with these baby mice like they were dolls. ..................well, you're right mom, I don't believe you. After breakfast and a few errands we ended up at the nursing home to see grandma - 97 yrs. old and a sharp mind - so I asked Gram ......... and sure enough mom had been absolutely right, Gram had brought them baby field mice to play with!!
Try getting away with that one today.

3 comments:

  1. You need a car which automatically unlocks the doors when it's placed in "Park." My 2001 Camry does it and it's quite convenient. I also can't lock it with the keys in the ignition, also a boon on occasion.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see my mom running from the house screaming hantavirus as I was playing with the mice.

    To further Randall's comment, assuming your car automatically locks when you get up to a certain speed, almost all cars can be reprogrammed to unlock when put into park like what Randall said if they don't out of the factory. Honda is a brand that comes to mind because their default is that the car will only unlock when you turn off the ignition. A quick search online and pressing a series of knobs, buttons, etc. in a specific order will change that to being unlocked when put in park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherm & Ed............. thanks for the advice; the only catch is I would have missed my mom's hilarious exhibition if the door had unlocked!!

    ReplyDelete