Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ramblings

As I become more involved in other projects my blogging gets left behind. Its not because I don't have time, because I am a firm believer in 'we make time for what we want to do, regardless...' So these 'ramblings' will seem to become even more and more disjointed but that's okay. Some day I'll go back over all these thoughts and maybe bring a sense of order to them, before then I invite you to just ride along with me, hopefully feeling comfort about what you read, just don't waste time trying to figure me out.

Last weekend we sent to the Big-City East and visited with our son, [the world's greatest daughter-in-law!] and our three little munchkins! My granddaughter again went me to Einstein Brothers bagels to surprise the rest of the family when they woke up. When I first announced I was going she said she wanted to go to, and I tried to get her to stay with gram - thinking I could pick up something for myself before I got back home - little did I know her mind was on the same track.
Although she usually always stays with gram, getting bagels with the old man was her thing and she wasn't going to be denied. All my trying to convince her was going absolutely nowhere and her actions were prove of that .... then I got to thinking, what was I thinking, this was my granddaughter and I was trying to persuade her not to come along with me??? This was becoming far worse than just a senior moment - so to a pouting little precious face I said, 'hey, don't just sit there next to gram, let's get going ........... its was great pink duck shoes and long nightie hopped out of that bed at lightning speed - and off to Einsteins we went. Well, she won again, and came out of that store with a grand-daddy sized hot chocolate topped with whipping cream!

ONe of my grandsons can be viewed on Youtube playing the drums, but since its my policy to never mention family names, this will be some detective work for you. I am really proud of my grandson because of his dedication to practice.....though I'm sure its probably driving the rest of the family a little battie with that constant beat! ha.

This past Sunday AM the message dealt with how we as a church family need to be acting more like a family than just a group of believers. I began with an example of how American used to love to watch 'Father Knows Best,' 'Leave it to Beaver" and 'Happy Days' .... more current family comedy became 'Friends', 'Cheers' and Seinfeld.' There is an indictment of the state of family in America that become evident when you realize that the earlier comedies focused on the nuclear family unit - dad, mom, sister, brother, etc.- and the later comedies focus more on friends as the family. I'm convinced it shows the breakdown of the family and our vain attempts to replace it through friends. I'm not saying friends aren't important, and they often do become closer than family members, but basically we are losing a sense of the value of the nuclear family; and I am convinced there is a searching in today's culture for those lost treasures of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment