Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grieving is a Gift


This past Monday night we began our 'Traveling through Grief' classes. I was surprised at the number of people that showed up. [15] Blanca did an excellent job in leading us through the mental health perspective of what grieving is! Then we talked about the spiritual perspective, focusing on John 11 where Jesus is grieving over the death of his best friend Lazarus, and the many insights and permission this gives us to grief. But more importantly we talked about the fact that 'Grieving is a GIFT from God!.' When asked why grieving is to be perceived as a gift I explained that 'grieving is the process that God has given us to begin healing ... I know that this sounds like an oxymoron, but when you begin to really examine it you'll see the link. We also talked about the fact that to those who are forewarned of certain approaching death the grieving process begins before death; with my father the grieving process began when he slipped into a four-month coma, but with my sister her death was unplanned, it came as a surprise, so I've experienced the process from both points. However I must admit that handled that grieving process both times without considering the process a gift - my loss.
As with all things in life, grief included, the attitude we have pretty much determines the direction we take in handling it. So I believe we got a good start.


No comments:

Post a Comment