Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11-8


Today is the 8th anniversary of the blowing up of the Twin Towers! I have a small box on the top shelf in my office that is packed full of small books, an original Time magazine, newspaper picture cutouts and printouts, and dvd's of actual recordings. One day perhaps one of my grand kids will be doing a school project about 9/11 and ask gramps if he has anything about that event he can share. This morning in my regular news sweep I came across another article,
www.lucianne.com/article/?pageid=8yearsAgoNow, that I am going to print out and add to the collection in the box. I hope one day one of my grand kids will ask.

As I rifle through the box, sorting through the printouts I want to keep and those I'm not I remember where I was, and my total unbelief that something like that could happen ... finally being convinced by my office manager that it truly was happening, I turned on the small tv in my office and like millions of other Americans watched the tragedy unfold. Have we forgotten, has that event so deeply seared into our minds that day began to evaporate? Why are we eight years later still having the same discussion/debate/argument about homeland security? In our rush to never forget have we created the very instrument which encumbers our remembrance?
I ask myself these questions because I'm all too aware of my own tendency to forget, to move on to others things ...... in a way that's why I take communion every Sunday, I never ever want to forget the price Christ paid for me. To those who contend taking communion every Sunday dilutes the event, I seriously contemplate how deeply the price has been seared into their soul, how can that act of remembrance become a less meaningful ritual to a true follower? 9/11 is not about my political views or philosophy of life, its about those who would deprive me of the very things I cherish ........... and they shall not win, if only in my memory!

In memory of 9/11 I challenge you to take a few minutes and review the photo's from this website, its also were I got the photo for this article:
also you might want to read what this teenager is doing to remember: http://wbztv.com/local/topsfield.school.flags.2.1175460.html

2 comments:

  1. I will eschew positing an answer to the question, "why are we still having the same debate" and simply say, it's good to take time to remember our countrymen.

    BTW, count me among those who think that communion should be more frequent.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May we always remember... as for communion, I've changed over the year, having grown up with communion 4x a year, whether you needed it or not. I do like it on a monthly schedule. But I also should confess that when it comes to communion, I've been more influenced by Zwingli than Calvin.

    ReplyDelete