Monday, December 19, 2011

Two Horses...........

Well I have found it ....................... the 'Indian' connection we've all heard about in the family, but no on believed. My grandpa Chester had said that way back in his family history there was a full blooded Indian, but since no one cared enough to really dig it was discounted as a myth. Yesterday I had a fourth cousin from Tennessee email me, and we began an email relationship about family. He was related to my grandpa's step father family, in which most of them live just across the state line in North Carolina. A little background: when grandpa was two months old his father died in Brushy Mt. Prison in Eastern Tennessee for killing a man; he claimed it was in self defense and so the official records say it was involuntary manslaughter and yet he ended up in state pen. My great grandma remarried and the only father my grandpa knew was his step dad. Well his step father's great grandma [on his dad's side]was a full blooded Sioux maiden from Oklahoma named Two Horses! I am so excited to at last put an end to myth ............ and prove Grandpa knew exactly what he was talking about. Now because it was my grandpa's step relationship I'm without even a half-drop of Indian blood but that's okay ........who knows, maybe some day I can 'track' her family down. Excuse the pun, I just couldn't resist, although I don't really like the term when applied to humans.

p.s. My grandpa, when he was a teenager in TN. broke out of jail, with his older brother for running moonshine, and they went north to Detroit and found jobs with the Wabash Railroad. Grandpa's older brother changed his name and moved back to TN near home. Its hard to explain that except the 'law' in those days, in those parts wasn't exactly in the same caliber as Sherlock Holmes... but Grandpa stayed up north and moved to our hometown, which was a major stopping point on the Detroit to Illinois Wabash line. ... there he eventually settled down and married Grandma. She is 98, in a nursing home, and mentally as sharp as a tack ... matter of fact, Gramma is about the only family member that enjoys talking family history with me.

2 comments:

  1. Your family really runs the gambit from murders to ministers. Perhaps you can make that the title when you write all this down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed................. I never thought of that; duh! Thanks, hope you don't expect any royalties because that would pressure me to have to sell one. And the book I have written my good wife refuses to acknowledge until there is a complete rewrite and replacement of some photo's, which my one uncle is doing with me for her sake. ha.

    ReplyDelete