Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bayou Nickel

As I went to pay for my usual morning coffee, I happened to look at one of the nickel's I was giving and saw something on a nickel I've never seen. Since most of us don't closely observe pennies and nickels this was strange to me. It was a 2004 nickel, and on the back were two hands shaking and above them a long peace pipe and axe crossed. The words were 1803 Louisiana Purchase. I guess I never knew that there were some unique nickels out there with historical events on them .............. maybe next time I'll pay a little more attention; and to think I always laughed at people that picked up pennies on the sidewalk? ..duh

4 comments:

  1. It makes it hard to teach my daughter about money when you can't describe what is going to be on the back of each coin because they keep changing it and to her, the face on the front looks just like that on any other.

    By the way, the dime and half dollar have the only "familiar" designs. The penny also has a new look, along with the nickel, quarter, dollar and ten dollar coins. Not to mention bills $5 and up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen one of those, which is strange given St. Louis' history as "Gateway to the West." There must not have been many minted.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The actually made several designs besides the clasped hands on the nickel. There is also a keelboat, buffalo and a view of the ocean all released over a period of two years in 2004 & 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed................ thanks for the info Ed. I have all the different Lincoln pennies minted in 2009; which was his birthday celebration year and continue to save them when I can, they really seem
    rare. As for the nickels I am going to start saving those also.

    Sherm.............if I find another Louisiana Purchase nickel you can have it if you like?

    ReplyDelete