Monday, December 26, 2011

Chrismtas 2011 has begun..........

T'was the first day after Christmas!...........
Our kids&grandkids from Alabama arrived a little after 4AM this morning; after a long drive from the DEEP South - and each of them[6] went immediately to bed and fell asleep. Gram heard them knock - how she did that over the sound machine, I don't know. Except it was probably that built-in mother's intuition. She said to me, 'did you hear a knock on the door?' .. the only noise I hear is you, I replied. Stumbling out of bed trying to make my way to greet them, Gram had already beat me to the door!!

Early tomorrow morning our kids/grandkids/first great grandson will be arriving from upstate New York before the sun comes up [7]; then a few hours later as the sun peaks over the horizon, the kids& grandkids from Detroit will knock on the door[6]; although I suspect they won't have to knock, everyone will be wide awake as our Christmas celebration takes place.

I went out early, everyone was still sound asleep to get orange juice, a donut and my usual cappacino/coffee. I was bragging about our coming family reunion and the clerk said "that is so neat, paused, then added, would you have room for one more?!"

My prayer is that even when Gram/Gramps have departed for eternal rest, the family will keep on having family reunions. My one aunt's last request of her gathered kids and grandkids was 'NEVER STOP HAVING FAMILY REUNIONS, PROMISE ME!.' My fondest memories of family reunions are from both sides of the family; a blessing one gets from growing up in the 50's etc. However reunions on both sides of the family became really scarce since the families got so spread out, and it just seemed my generation didn't want to continue the tradition. But.....................a cousin of mine [father's side] and his wife have started the family reunions back up again, and for the last two summers we have had a tremendous time coming together! You can have all the possessions one could ever dream of but without family what good are they?!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!


P.S.... My son called us early Saturday morning and said that they had heard an old song [though I've never heard it, but Gram has] about a woman wanting to have this 'trist' with Santa, something about "Santa, Baby?" .. well, our two year old grandson got quite upset with the song, not about any moral issue, but the fact Santa was not a 'baby', but a kind old man with this flowing white beard!!!!

2 comments:

  1. A safe and happy holiday for you and yours.

    BTW, my grandmother made my mom and aunt promise to get together, too, and we all still do it, usually in September. It's good to do.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful "rest of the Christmas" SleepyHead.

    ReplyDelete