Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ole City Bank

Our church got a Christmas card from the City Bank in our town. Its a picture of when the bank was in its beginning years - one of those gothic pictures ... really neat. Of course its changed numerous times; matter of fact its latest building was built after the good wife and I moved into the area, and I can't even remember what it looked like. The websites for the bank don't have any former pictures, so I'm left with an absent memory and no resources to resurrect it.

In speaking with my office manager about the beautiful card she recalled when her family lived only a short distance from the first bank building and recalled when her mother would go to the 'walk-up' window at the bank .... yeppers, that's right the 'walk up' window. This was before a 'drive up' window; I didn't even know those windows existed. The inside clerk would pass her mom some gumballs for the kids thru the window. Imagine mom's now days giving their kids gumballs without wrappers passed thru a window of a commerical bank - can't see that one happening. But how neat to know that those kind of windows existed so that customers wouldn't have to come inside to do their transactions.
Just another neat little insight into yesterday!

4 comments:

  1. I remember going to the bank as a kid and getting a two pack of gum every time. Now a days you are lucky to get a smile in return for your business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate drive thru windows! I will use them, sparingly. The building they had before this one was torn down about a year after I arrived here and it was ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when banks had baskets of lollipops for the kids. These things tend to go the way of all flesh, usually because some scold decides taking the fun out of other peoples' lives is a good hobby. Newsflash: being a busybody doesn't move you higher on "Mt. Morality."

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed......our bank still has a cup of suckers at every tellers window inside.

    Sage .... I came just about the same time you did, and don't remember the old bank building.

    Sherm ... I guess we're still in the stone ages ..
    we have a nativity scene on the village courthouse yard. Some years ago, someone from New York raised a stink; but not being from the area, it went away.

    ReplyDelete