Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A 'RIGHT' Weather forcast!


Last night I took my wife 4 1/2 hours[one way] to Indianapolis so she could join her sister this morning in a flight to Florida. Its a working vacation for her sister and my wife is along for bonding support, sun and rest. We knew going down that the weather report predicted there would be snow and freezing and sure enough, just outside Indianapolis, for once the weather forecasters were right on, go figure. I got her safely to her hotel and was on the way back out of the city when the roads started glazing over with a mixture of wet snow and cooling temperatures. People who are familiar with such winter cocktails know it is an extremely wise move to be cautious and drive more slowly; while those who drive according to how it looks or are in a hurry with a false sense of confidence become traveling hazards. It really didn't look that bad, just a light, steady falling of snow and a somewhat cantankerous wind.It's almost as though the falling temperatures and the driving wind were mixing the elements before they hit the pavement; and less cautious drivers began to become more dangerous than the mix itself. I stopped counting the number of cars in the ditch, those facing the wrong way on one way highway lanes, and accidents when I reached the number 6. Then about 20miles from home, I cam across an extremely serious accident, with a parent and child pinned in the front seat of a compact that looked like its front end began and stopped at the firewall. The emergency vehicles were arriving not far behind me, as I heard their sirens and saw their flashing lights; never before had police vehicles been so welcome to these stranded drivers probably. I was going to stop and pull over, but figured I would only add congestion to the already narrowing passage around the accident, and then in my eagerness to help become an obstacle to the professions seeking to relieve the situation. The roads were like an ice rink ... and the accident happened on a curve in the road. Only a couple miles further down the road I cam upon a couple of semi's barreling along as though the elements were of little account to them, so I flashed my emergency lights and brights at them, hoping to at least make them consider slowing down, for if they didn't they would undoubtedly have to chose between touring a field tearing down trees, or slamming into those already bent and broken? what a choice. As I was contemplating the supposed recklessness of other drivers in such weather the Lord reminded me of how I often treat life carelessly. How I observe signs along this journey that say, 'slow down, things are not as they appear,' or 'caution: danger up ahead,' and surge on ahead as though the signs were meant for someone else! How many of my accidents in life could have easily been avoided had I only observed and listened, if I had taken into consideration the consequences of my choices ... many I suppose, more than I want to meditate on right now, or any time for that matter. I can't do anything this morning about last night's weather except give thank that I was protected, and thank my old age for the wisdom to realize every moment in life is to savored, and the next moment looked forward to. Well, I'm home alone for the major part of this week,
and so this blog will probably find more writings; I hope the good wife has a more wonderful time than she could ever imagine - little in life can compete with family; even when it isn't your husband, ha. She'd get a chuckle out of that one, but she doens't read this blog. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment