Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Oliver Stone's latest

Perpetual conspiratist Oliver Stone's latest venture into Mythland finds him proclaiming 'Adolf Hitler was enabled by Western bankers.' Though I have yet to find something[anything] Stone has ever said to agree with, I do enjoy his work in the sense that it challenges me to examine why I believe what I believe. I am dismayed that one of my favorite tv sites, the Discovery channel, will be hosting his upcoming 10part-documentary, although I will do my best to waste my time and probably watch it. Stone's contention that Hitler was a 'product of his era' was what drew my attention; it seems that progressives [another word for extreme liberals] are always wanting to place the blame on someone else, hence the public is getting tired of Obama's refusal to begin accepting his responsibility for our economy. Being a product of our era means we are not entirely [if at all for that matter] to blame for the choices we make. By contending that Hitler was 'enabled' Stone essentially is saying that the evil Hitler loosed upon the world would never have happened, or at the least been as devastatingly horrible as it was without the backing of the West money. Another way of viewing this venture is that Stone is a bit hypocritical [that's no news] in the sense that it is Hollywood that buys his myth-making and makes it profitable for him to spew his speculative, mostly unsub-stantiated garbage on an unsuspecting, gullible public. Would he be so passionate about getting his work out if he didn't get handsomely rewarded for it? Having said all that there is a message in this for me, 'am I willing to be responsible for the choices I make that are greatly influenced by others? ... 'Do I succumb to the tempation to blame others for the circumstances of my life? 'Who do I blame when I am called to account at the that final summation before God? FAith is about being responsible, accepting criticism and wisely allowing it to teach me when in error and on the others hand placing into the context of my love for God compliments I might receive. It seems we live in a culture, a world, too reluctant to stand up for what is 'right,' and we wait for someone braver to pick up the standard then we will follow them, albeit usually at a distance that is comfortable. Perhaps Oliver Stone is only doing what he truly believes in when he defends people like Fidel Castro, Hitler, Stalin and even Joe McCarthy? Maybe I need to believe as passionately in what I consider right as he does in what he considers right? I reluctantly congratulate Mr. Stone on his willingness to stand against the tide of public opinion; or maybe I'm wrong, perhaps he's not standing against the tide so much as he is revealing it ... either way it interesting to say the least.

2 comments:

  1. Obviously, blaming others' influence for our own decisions/mistakes eliminates any guilt we might/should feel about those actions; gives us a pass on all future mistakes; and eliminates the necessity of learning anything. A perfect storm of ignorance and stupidity.

    As for Stone, given that in our modern world history is "deconstructed" rather than reported to the point where no one older than, say, 40ish has any inkling about what really transpired, is it any wonder than people such as Stone can present all manor of BS with the full expectation that most of the viewing public will not know enough to call him on it.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it is dumb luck or a sign of my tastes but the only two movies that Stone directed that I have watched were Platoon and Born on the 4th of July. I also watched Scarface but he was only a screenwriter for it. I haven't seen any of the other 27 films and probably won't see this one.

    ReplyDelete