Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mom's 80th ... Grams 97

Yesterday we had a surprise 80th birthday party for my mom! It was my good wife's idea and carry through that made it happen. It completely surprised my mom, and when we called her again today, she said that her sister/and husband who couldn't be at the celebration yesterday were throwing a small party for her today at Gram's house. Now Gam is 97, an though she is getting physically more and more challenged she still lives by herself at home. My oldest granddaughter from Alabama is with us this week and we are having fun; mostly she loves calling her mom to report on what 'stupid' things Gramps is doing [and I'm certainly not disappointing her]... I told her she'd have to stop that or I was sending her back home early, but with Gram's making faces and snickering in the background I don't think she feels threatened! ha!

This coming friday morning we'll be traveling to the good wife's hometown in Ilinois to spend time celebrating her mother's 80th birthday party .... must be something about being 80? All three of our kids [along with 12 of the 13 grandkids] will be gathering there, so it's also going to be our family reunion. This means the kids from Alabama and Upper New York will be joining the kids from Big City East, Michigan. It will be the first time in a couple years all the grand kids have been together ... watch out Illinois!! I'm huddling with the old people for protection.

4 comments:

  1. My mom turned 80 last October and is fit as a fiddle. We're lucky that they are in such good shape and so independent.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that about your mom. My's mental facilities are not keeping up with her physical ones, and the family is starting to become somewhat alarmed at her forgetfulness and repetitive statements. The last 3 month's she also began to consult me on matters that were previously off base, and asked the bank to keep me up on her checking account... so just that fact she is allowing these things tells me she realizes something isn't the way it used to be, and wants to guard herself. I thank God for her awareness of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a fun time celebrating these birthdays, Eutychus2!

    ReplyDelete