Friday, June 18, 2010

Birthday, every day.

Yesterday my good wife totally surprised me. For the first time that I can remember she took the day off and celebrated my birthday with me. It began with opening a beautiful card from her as I started shaving .... then she took me to breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Next we headed towards the big-city East, and it became clear to me, we were headed for my Son/Daughter-In-Laws[I only use d-i-l as a term of identification, she's really every bit as much my daughter, just w/o the growing up years!]. After arriving there and having a light lunch, during which time the good wife went to eat lunch with our granddaughter in first grade, my son announced that he, his oldest son[3yrs old] and I were going to see tigers at the zoo. To show you how dense I can be, I never caught the clue, then when we drove past the zoo, he said there were other places that had tigers too, dah!
We ended up at the parking lot for Ford Field, and so the son, my grandson and I got to see a Tiger's game, the Tigers easily were man [probably should say animal]-handling the nationals 8-3! I bought a hat - at the Stadium; and yes I know I paid more - but for this to be a complete memory, the hat HAD to be purchased there! My son also bought my grandson a jr. tiger's hat. Then we picked up sandwiches on the way home, and had dinner with the whole family. WOW! Now that's how to celebrate a birthday. Then when I got home, my daughter[and family] from down real close to the gulf called and sang happy birthday to me ... sometimes the blessings just keep coming, and I had a birthday card waiting in the mail from my mother-in-law!!
What day!

I mentioned the parking lot to Fords' Field which is for the Lions; but is also available for parking for Tiger's Baseball. We got to take a shortcut through the Lions Indoor Stadium which is beautiful!! I hope to get to go to a game there sometime. The Lion's football Ford Field is right next to the Tiger's Coamerica Baseball Park [right across the street to be exact!]. My son also told me that there is an effort to get a Pistons Basketball Stadium next to these two. And the Red Wings Hockey Stadium is down the road not too far.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an excellent birthday. May your father's day be just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yours father's day be blessed to .... with little A!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday... Them Tigers have been on a roll lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't even conscious of it until my son started talking about it at the ballpark .........not only that I sat through the game without a drink, a dog or piece of pizza! I got my grandson a cotton candy of course, but he ate all of that, and my son wouldn't let me buy him anything else, and I'm not about to eat/drink in front of him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherm....... thanks so much I've had a great birthday/father's day. My church gave me a nice Barnes/Noble gift card, which enabled me to get four good books! Then I got a Barnes/Noble gift card from B/N because of past purchases reached a certain total. [By the way I am a member of Barnes/Noble and also a mastercard carrier of theirs!] My middle daughter/family sent me a B/N gift card. I got an Appleby's gift card, which the good wife and I celebrated with. There I got my favorite dish,
    the pick three ... dynamite shrimp, honey bbq buffalo wings and the steak quesidella towers,
    plus a couple large bills! These may not be golden years physically, but they certainly can be in other areas! Thanks Sherm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you had such a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Annie! As I get older others become more precious to me.... and I appreciate friends like you, and Sherm, and Ed ... even though we've only met through the blogosphere. That you take the time to read what I write and oft times respond; even our differing perspectives enrich my life.

    ReplyDelete