Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Council of Lobsters??!

This past week I read two books, 'The Secret Life of Lobsters' and 'The Council of Dads.' The first book I read about lobsters was not normally a book I would chose to spend time reading, but the remarks about it really made me curious. It was indeed a book about lobsters and their unique mating habits, but who cares except those who may profit and be able to catch more of them. The book was almost like a science textbook about lobsters and their migratory and mating habits. If promoting the lifestyles of lobsters in the context of romance was to sell books, I guess I played right into the scheme, though I guess one must admit those who were studying the lobsters definitely had strong feelings for them. There was some information about the lobster-catchers, and a running dialogue about the conflict between scientists and the fishermen. Yet, at least for me, the book did not even come close to living up to its title; well, perhaps it did only in the sense that so much about the lobsters lifestyle is still a mystery .. I guess that's where the word 'secret' fit in. If however, you are more inclined towards a scientific view then I think you would find this book an excellent catch. I guess I just prefer to eat them rather than fall in love with one.

'The Council of Dads' was indeed a unique book. I have read Bruce Feiler's books 'Walking the Bible' and 'Abraham' and enjoyed both of them very much, so I looked forward to reading this one. Its title 'The Council of Dads' captured my attention. It seems that Bruce was diagnosed with a tumor in one of his legs that he had injured as a young child. Anticipating the worst - that he might never get to see his twin girls grow up - he got this unique idea to find some men he knew well who would be willing after his death to tutor his girls on who their dad really was. I'll not spoil the book for you except to say that his wife plays a leading role in shaping that idea into an intimate working relationship - a relationship that continues today, even though Bruce has survived. The chapters on how each man fit into the plan are great, and led me to believe it probably is a good idea for any parent who still has very young kids at home. Even should a father decide that putting the whole plan into motion is not needed the ideas that are presented can still be fruitful; and what an emotional insurance policy. I wish that as a young father, with three young children, I had had a book like this. In premarital counseling I'm always advising young parents-to-be to make a will once their are married, for their future kids sake .... but this, planning to have others, who we're close to, educate and equip our children in case we're taken from them goes beyond the pale! [pun intended]

THE SECRET LIFE OF LOBSTERS, by Trevor Corson, Harper Perennial pub., 2004 ISBN:Ah, forget it
THE COUNCIL OF DADS, by Bruce Feiler, Harper Collins pub., 2010 ISBN:9780061778766 ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment