Tuesday, June 15, 2010

40years hiding in plain view!

The Associated Press has come out with a story about a man, sentenced to life in prison, got out on parole, and just walked away. A grandson, who became interested in the story of this killer, which he hadn't ever heard about, hired a private investigator and began searching himself also. The killer was found living a good citizen life and making a contribution to society. But this is where some interesting discussion enters:
a. should this man be sent back to prison, who for 40yrs has shown he is
a contributing citizen? or should that not make a difference?
b. the convicted killers' almost comical attitude to being captured again
leads one to question the motive of his conduct ... true remorse or just
convinced he's got it made?
c. the value in knowing family history ... and how the killers recapture is
allowing a family begin to put closure on the case?
this is a very interesting article .... I think I'll read it a few more times and perhaps later have some more comments?! I also plan on using this article in defense of my love for family genealogy. AP,Tuesday, Jun 15, 5:55am ET, by Matt Gouras, AP writer. YOu can find it quickly by going to http://news.yahoo.com com and looking for 'wedding chapel fugitive.

4 comments:

  1. What makes no sense about the story is that he was out on parole. Had he done lived the same post prison life and complied with the conditions of parole, he might have been placed on minimal supervision or discharged. It happens. Most times, parole violators break other laws instead of merely technical violations like failing to report.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this, I was wondering how it would feel to have been married by this guy... It also makes me wonder if he'd paid most of his time except for supervised parole, being put back in for the rest of his life seems a bit severe (with the murder, I was wondering why he got out in the first place)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also wondering how if he got a life-sentence he was released on parole? and who getting parole on a life sentence would just walk away? blaming it on his wife then is a 'weak' excuse.....I guess unless for 40yrs you get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was stunned to read 'Unicoi' and Limestone Cove' Hey this is in my neck of the woods. I know both places completely. You don't tell where you are but it IS a small world any way you look at it, Hmm? How about Erwin and Johnson City? Familiar to you?

    ReplyDelete