Monday, January 16, 2012

Ohio's Civil War Generals

Ohio’s Unknown Generals.
The Willaims County Historical Society was holding its Annual Banquet
and Meeting. The featured speaker was a Mr. Mark Holbrook, who is a
rather famous Ohio Historian and Civil War Re-enactor. Being a Society
member and spending the month’s sabbatical with my mother in my hometown I decided to attend. Though the meal was a little less than
desirous, I was grateful for it, but to my delight the Speaker was great.

I learned many things, both about men from Ohio who fought in the
Civil War and their lives stories, which were both great and sorrowful. But
perhaps the thing that intrigued me the most was a man named William
Burnham Woods. William also had a brother Charles, who fought in the
Civil War on the Union side and became a general also.

Now William fought alongside General Sherman in his march to the sea, and
enjoyed the South so much that when the Civil War was over he returned to
settle in Alabama. The precise location was Bentonville, now known as the
hometown of Walmarts. William also married the daughter of Senator Warner from Alabama. Gen. Wm. turned out to be the first post civil war
U.S. Supreme Court Justice from the South.

The interesting thing about Gen. Woods is that my oldest daughter’s husband’s last name is Woods, and he, and his relatives hail from Alabama;
So one of my genealogical searches is going to be to see if my son-in-law
Is related to the Northern General……………….wouldn’t that take the cake;
A proud old southern family - descendants of a northern yankee!

No comments:

Post a Comment