Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Stqy there - don't move

As mom and I were waiting in the lounge area while uncle
Denny and Grama B were in with the doctor, a lady walked
by, stopped right in front of me and said, “Stay there, don’t
move!” in a nice but determined manner. I looked at mom
and asked if I looked sick …. What was going on, why would
a lady I didn’t know, suddenly stop, look directly at me and
demand I not leave??

After a few minutes she returned, stood in front of me and
said, “You don’t recognize me, do you?” ….. then after a
few seconds I replied, “Jackie?!” Yes she said, and after
giving her a hug we became reacquainted. Jackie was the
day care office manager I had hired; and by far the best office
manager I’ve ever known! Jackie and her husband
Glenn had become great friends of Sherry & I, as we worshiped
together in the same church the day care was a part of.
After exchanging pleasantries and inquiring about her sons
Jason & Caleb, I told her that earlier, in the fall, I had seen her
cooking entries at the county fair. She said to be sure and tell
Sherry hi, and left. I am so glad she recognized me, for I would
have smiled and not spoken to her. She said I looked so much
like my dad, to which mom said after she left, “I don’t think
you look like your father, do you?” “Well mom, I replied,
just about everyone else, including Sherry says that I do!”
Perhaps mom doesn’t wish me to look like my father? Though
I sincerely doubt there is an ounce of jealousy, with dad and my
sister gone, looking like my father is too close to her feeling
alone? Mom often times says, ‘she feels alone’ or ‘if grandma
were to die she’d be alone’ and I must remind her I’m still here,
and so are two of her brothers and younger sister, a tribe of
grandchildren and many friends. However I’m slowly realizing
what mom may really be talking about is the intimacy of her
relationships … especially with a memory that continues to rob
her not only of what used to be, but perhaps what never was??

No comments:

Post a Comment