Thursday, March 24, 2011

The way it should be!

Today I went to a funeral where the family in our church had lost the grandfather ... he was the first one in the entire family to die. As I sat there during the message I thought 'this is the way its suppose to be.' No kids or grand kids dying first, but first the patriarch of the family. And that's the way I wish for it to be in my family, may I be the first to go - heaven help the family if its not me .. there will be late birthday cards and forgotten birthday gifts, missed anniversaries, lot less fewer phone calls to check on the families ... it would utter misery; and I don't say that proudly simply truthfully.

2 comments:

  1. My mom always used to say, she hoped my dad would precede her, because she worried about him so much. She didn't think he could exist on his own and made me promise to look after him, or let him move in with us, if he outlived her. It didn't happen of course. He was 14 years her senior and died in 1993. She's 82 and still going strong.

    And still a widow, BTW. As she once said, "God meant us to be married one time. Besides, there's no one else like your father.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm...
    My mom is almost 81, having increasingly loss of memory, but believed pretty much like your mom; although I don't think she was as gracious. Mom simply couldn't abide sharing with someone new - or trying to 'train' them!

    ReplyDelete