Monday, March 14, 2011

Same Ole Book

Last Thursday the 'good wife' took a vacation day off of work and went with me to visit and accompany my mother to two of her appointments. We had finished the first visit with her neurologist and had a couple of hours before she went to the oral surgeon so we stopped and had lunch then went to a mall across the street so mom/good wife could do some shopping.

As they went into J.C.Penny's I told them I was going to the bookstore - no surprise there - and I left with my good wife's charge sounding in my ears, 'you have enough books, don't buy any .... a futile charge which I'm sure she realized but felt she'd done her duty by reminding me there was no need to add to the unread stack of books on my bedside light table.

Keeping close watch of the time for when I was suppose to meet them to leave the mall I ended up at the $1-$3 tables .... it would be a really cheap buy if I could find a book there. Rummaging behind the first row of books I came upon an interesting book titled, 'The Lost Hours'. Something about the title drew me to read the back cover ..... and I was hooked; and there was something about the name of the author, who although I had never read any of her books seemed familiar. You
know where this is going don't ya?!

Yeepers I bought the book, and upon meeting up with me and seeing the bag the 'good wife' turned to my mother and said, 'didn't I tell you he couldn't resist.' While I waited in the dentist office I was able to read the first five chapters, so it was a good thing I had a book .... and now I was really getting into it. The next day I mentioned the book to my office manager [who is also a librarian and we often exchange books and book reviews]. As I was explaining what I'd read and how the name of the author had a strange familiarity I noted she had started smiling ... 'why are you smiling' I asked, because she said, that's the very same book you gave to me a couple months ago. You were upset because it wasn't the book you had planned on ordering from Amazon.com and when you got it you gave it to me ... then the whole story came flooding back. The author whose book I had intended to purchase was Karen Morton, this book 'Lost Hours' was by Karen White.

This is a very good book. It tells the story of a young lady, raised by her grandparents because her parents die in an accident, and the young lady - a champion
horse rider - has a fall and her horse lands on her nearly killing her. Through a family heirloom left to her she comes to realize that there is a much larger untold story about her grandma that presents a completely different picture than the gardening gracious, somewhat depressed grandma she ever knew .......... and so she goes on a search, only to find that there are others who are handicapped that are refusing to move on with their lives, just like in many ways she is. In helping them to get their lives turned around hers is also. Its a good story about how even dark family secrets can be positively instrumental in restoring life in the survivors. It would be a great bedtime story to read incrementally to a child.
'The Lost Hours.' WHITE,Karen, Harley House Books, Penguin Group. New York, N.Y.
2009 ISBN: 9780451226495

7 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve ...........its always a joy to met new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaking my head and smiling. If you're at coffee on Wednesday, I'll bring my copy of River Time to lend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bought many books to add to my to be read pile and on more than one occasion, have added a new book to the pile only to discover that it existed a few books down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sage ..... I'm getting this feeling that there's more to your shaking/smiling that is in your note; but I'll accept your book this Wednesday on loan - thanks.

    Ed ....... Thanks, it's always a comfort to know others have either been to the place where I'm at or were there before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Ed and you on the multiple purchases of the same book fiasco. I just tell the EMBLOS I bought the second (third?) copies for gifts and leave it at that.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thought Sherm.............I'm going to make it mine too.

    ReplyDelete