Thursday, March 24, 2011

Further down the rabbit trail....

This is just a short addendum to the naming article I wrote the other day. In continuing to review the material I've found that where my grandpa/grandma's generation continued to give their kids 'family' and 'biblical' names [which most often went together in their Amish-Mennonite cultures] the rate was 90%; in the following generation [my fathers] the rate dropped to under 50%; and I don't even relish thinking about my generation. I don't believe its any coincidence that a number of cultural and liberal religious factors played into those statistics. Am I proposing that we go back to the standards of yesterday - certainly not - but I do believe there are some spiritual and healthy lessons we might wish to incorporate both corporately and personally in our lives today. Only those who are foolish refuse to listen and learn from the past.
~timm

No comments:

Post a Comment