Friday, March 25, 2011

At last - good German food.

Last night the 'good wife' and I ate at a new restaurant in a little town only about 15minutes from where we live. It was an entirely German restaurant; and I say entirely because all its menu items were German, they didn't have goulash or any of those other 'quasi-Germanic' foods I love so much, but that's okay. The good wife had a 'German Dip' sandwich. Sliced pork roast topped with crispy haystack onions and mustard aioli on a grilled pretzel bun served with Au Jus. Sometimes I think my good wife will eat anything related to a pretzel ... it was a very good sandwich, and she was totally blown away with the homemade Root Chips! Being much more globally minded I decided to go for the 'Tour of Germany' plate - bratwurst, wiener schnitzel, and sauerbraten. The sides dishes I chose were saurkraut [YES, YES]and a German potato pancake ... and had to bring some of the bratwurst and saurkraut home. The house salad was a great appetizer ... Mixed greens served bacon, mild bleu cheese and radishes tossed in a lemon dill vinaigrette. I wasn't going to get the lemon dill vinaigrette, but two things convinced me: the good wife said that since the restaurant's name was DILL, and everything is seasoned with dill, she would like to taste the 'dill' vinaigrette ...so there you go, I guess I really didn't need a second opinion. The second reason was because of the name. And of course even though I'm taking some food home, we had to have the dessert - Apple Strudel. My next trip back I will be having their version of my favorite sandwich in the world - Reuben!??!

6 comments:

  1. I can honestly say, in 30 years of going to Germany with my wife, I've never encountered a "Dip Sandwich." The closest sandwich type item is a bratwurst on a roll around Christmas at the Christkindlmarkt.

    As for Goulash, it's on every Bavarian menu I've ever seen, so I think they can safely put it on for you without sacrificing authenticity.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The owner/chef came to our table and I asked him about it, but he didn't seem to excited about it ... when I go back to get my Reuben I will put it on the menu. It is a very limited menu and that may be due to wanting to get firmly established .. I'll keep mentioning it. It is interesting you've never encountered a German dip sandwich, maybe that's an American twist?!
    thanks Sherm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This town has more ethnic restaurants than any town it's size, I'm confident of that. But it doesn't have a German restaurant and having been to several over the years, that is a crying shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed.......... maybe you could start one, or bribe an already German restaurant owner to start another one - seems like you're living in fertile soil for one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been there since they became Dills--but we used to enjoy Cracked Pepper (the former establishment) and I'm told that some of the same people are running the new place. Another "fine" place for a Friday evening fish-fry is at Champs Bar, across the street!

    There is a place in K-zoo, near the airport, that advertises goulash and it's okay, but not my favorite meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The present owner/chef said that his father was a chef .... and that he himself had been a private/catering chef..

    ReplyDelete