Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Some reflections on elections.

Despite my complaining, which must be quite aggravating, I do enjoy working as an election inspector. Its many benefits include usually having time to get some extra reading in, providing its not a presidential year or too heavily challenged primary. You get to say hi to neighbors/acquaintences you don't speak with very often. The honor of knowing you're a part of a free system, and often the recipients of honest compliments[mostly by those who are older]. ONe of the joys I really like is when parents bring their children in with them, we get to give the kids stickers, and when their parent's finished ballot is returned and finally placed in the couting machine, I often have the kids help me, this usually brings a big smile to their faces and thanks from their parents. And sometimes a horrified look from another poll worker or stern voter ... but who cares because so far the election clerk has smiled on the act. Now to yesterday's experience. There was only two people running for school board members, with no opposition because you had to vote for two; made me wish I had run for the position just to make people think a little more, no one would elect me because I'm not well known, and besides I wouldn't want to replace someone who was actually a benefit to the school board. The position receives no pay, but certainly often an extremely large amount of complaining; ... at this point I must admit I do get a small stipend for working the polls, and occasionally we'll get that upset voter, but nothing I am sure that school board members receive. Still I did serve as an election inspector where I came here from in Illinois for nine years and never received any pay for that ..and I would do it here even if there was no stipend .... Its an honor first! Also on the ballot was an issue about millage for a County Historical Park. The issue has come up before and been defeated, and so I didn't vote on it because I don't own any property so I felt it would be unethical [though not illegal] to raise someone else property tax for my pleasure; though if asked my opinion I certainly was for it.
By the way the millage passed and the park, which has museum, historic village, beach w/picnic area and recreational areas [a lot of re-enactments take place here]for the next seven years. I guess my major complaint is with the voting system. With only two people on the ballot and one millage issue, a lot of money was spent. Neither the city, the school or the county could afford that vote. Since the county attached the millage issue, the county had to pay for the vote. That meant innumerable ballots printed that will never be used; in our ward alone only about 190 people voted, but because there were 890 qualified to vote that's how many ballots there were, and that's just one example...and then the usage of the facilities were all the votes throughout the county took place, the stipends paid to each poll worker, the time of the city/county employees involved ..... a lot of costs. It seems to me that some elections could be made to run concurrent with other ones and millage issues would have to be decided at those times. But I guess that's just how the system goes - well, maybe someone in the future will change it so that its more efficient; yet I don't want the voting to be eliminated. As we were talking about the extremely low turnout an election inspector suggested that anyone who received an type of entitlement from the government, regardless of how small or large it was, should be required to vote and show proof before they received their next benefit - now that sounded right - you want to receive any loan, you want to recieve any entitlement, you want to use an government facility, to hold a government job,etc.... right on! All in all, another good day.

6 comments:

  1. Of course, the downside with tying entitlements to votes is that the politicians already have enough incentive to increase the entitled class by voting every increasing subsidies, thereby guarantying the politician's continued place in the halls or power. Plus, freedom means nothing if it means one is compelled to do something.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm .... to a point I agree, but I still think there has to be a way that anyone with an entitlement, should be compelled, and I'm thinking that probably just about all of us are in some entitled. Just a side thought here, perhaps all government offices, and those who receive any government help should be closed election day w/the requirement that all employees upon returning to work must show proof of voting or be docked in their pay? Still thinking.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too come from a rural area where the cost of voting is a big expense on the local economy but I don't have problems with it. In fact, it is one expense that I would gladly pay even if it were two or three times the cost because it allows us to practice one of our most sacred freedoms in this country, voting.

    Likewise, I am against compelling anyone to vote. We have the freedom to vote without persecution in this country which also means we have the right not to vote or be persecuted because we didn't vote. Those that cared enough to make time in their day to vote should be the ones that make the decision. By forcing someone to vote who has no opinion on the matter and doesn't believe it is worth their time really cheapens the votes of those of us on the other side.

    In my world, we decided to use taxpayers dollars yesterday to bail out a private entity. Less than 25% of the registered voters voted. But those 25% of registered voters were the ones who cared enough to make time in our day to vote and though I was on the losing side, I'm still proud to have voted and not forced anyone to "pick a side." This is what makes America great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed .... I must admit you and Sherm present some pretty persuasive arguments, but it still gets my goat that people can get entitlements from the very thing that they won't take the time to vote for; I guess I'm getting to a grumpy old man ... don't tell the good wife; like she doesn't suspect?! thanks, still thinking

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your brought it up. It brought up enough brain reaction to give me enough material for a post on the subject that I hope to have posted on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete