Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gram's home!

It sure seems like a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time since I've written on the blog; but today was quite a day. Last night I went home to Ohio and stayed with mom, then this morning we had breakfast at a restaurant I literally haven't eaten at in a decade .... it was still there, 'Spokes' on route 20a. [The route runs parallel to the Ohio Turnpike, and many truckers use the two lane blacktop because they don't have to pay a toll or check in their weight] ... Spokes is kinda of a truck stop. My one aunt used to love to take her nephews/nieces there to eat. Breakfast was pretty good, and as we were paying the bill there was an older gentleman sitting at a table close by, smiling and starring at us, that was weird. AFter we paid the bill and were walking out I heard him ask the waitress if that was my mother, called her by name. I told mom that the gentlemen had said her name and so we went back, and sure enough, he had been their tv repairman and the one who always set up tv towers for them and their neighbors. He had graduated just a year before I did, and recognized me too. Later when mom checked in for her weekly hairdo thing I went to gram's house and my uncle/aunt were just bringing her home from Rehab - she'd been there nearly four weeks, and was so glad to get home. As I was related the story of our breakfast experience Gram said that she and grandpa had gone to the same restaurant many times before I was even born, and that back then it had a hard-packed dirt floor! We tried to guess how many owners had come and gone, and wondered if it was still in the family?? .. a piece of living history!! And of course the number of truckers who had eaten there probably will never be known, but its reputation is still in place and the trucks keep stopping there. That was a neat experience for me, especially when gram said she'd been there with grandpa before I was even dreamed of, before my dad and mom had any idea the other one existed.

2 comments:

  1. You can never go wrong eating at a place with a lot of trucks, especially if its off the beaten path. Even interstate truck stops seem to be better than the usual fast food joints.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a nice trip to the homeland...

    ReplyDelete