Monday, February 28, 2011

The 'WEDDING' book

The 'WEDDING' book has arrived....this is indeed a story I get passionate about. A few weeks in a family conversation a distant cousin mentioned a name in our family ancestry that I didn't recognize. Later that day I devoted some time to searching the name on google, and much to my surprise after visiting a couple websites this notice appeared from a lady not associated with our family.

"I have been to an antique store and came across this 1940 wedding book for sale. It broke my heart to see it there, for such a treasure belongs in the home of a family member, so if you would like to inquire more about it please email me."

This was an invitation I couldn't turn down for the 'wedding' book belongs to the daughter of my great uncle/aunt on my father's side, so I immediately contacted her. She was anxious to send me the book and only asked that I pay the price she had to acquire it and the shipping from across the country, which I was more than happy to do. She even sent me a copy of one of the newspaper clippings in the book, you can imagine how that excited me. So plans were put into motion [at least in my mind]as
to how this precious treasure would be unwrapped in the presence of 'invited' family members who likewise would appreciate its ancestral roots. Well when the package arrived the desire to open it got the better of me - watch out for temptations - and
I couldn't wait, which means I'm so glad my plans had progressed no further than my gray matter.

It is a complete 'wedding' history ... with notes about where they first meet, her planning for both the wedding dress and arrangements. There are photos of the couple before, during and after the wedding ceremony and some pictures of family with them. She has even written three pages journaling their honeymoon experience.
There are lists of wedding guests and a list of gifts received .. and other little tidbits of information. The lady who rescued the book did some detective work before hand and was kind enough to send me a letter with the results.

This lady amazes me; its not the first time she has rescued family heirlooms, most often they are family bibles, and found a relative to adopt them ... its a passion with her. A couple weekends ago some friends from Chicago [incidentally where the couple was married, then later moved from]were visiting with us a small town near our home that has a lot of antique stores, and I found myself taking a lot more time searching for anything with a family name .... I'm not so sure I'm into the rescuing for unknown strangers as I am the thrill of discovery - either way I figure I win!
I've certainly won with the acquisition of the 'Wedding' book.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. What did we do before the internet gave us instant access to all sorts of information. Sure, a lot of it is crap, but every so often, a diamond appears in the rough.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once found a saddle made by my great great uncle who was a notable saddle maker out west but couldn't talk the owner into letting me purchase it for his cost plus a healthy tip. He thought he could get more for it on ebay and he did so in a way, I'm glad I didn't gouge him. That one sold for $600 and since then I have seen several go for well over $1000. I'm thrilled that my great great uncles saddles are collectible and worth money but dang would I like to own one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ed
    You're a much better man than I ..... I'd gouge for a family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete