Tuesday, February 22, 2011

First Book Read on Sabbatical

The first book that I read on sabbatical was a historical fiction by Kristin Hannah. Althought the story line is fictional the background is historical ... it begins by taking place in the Russian town of Leningrad besieged by Hitler's Nazi forces, and takes place during the coldest months of winter. This setting is not only historical but it sets the emotional stage for the relationships in this story.

In this environment the young husband/father Sasha is taken from his family to fight in the Russian Army. The horrors and tragedy of tring to raise two children in these
circumstances is almost more than Anya, the wife/mother, can bear. The decisions she must make are heart-wrenching, but truly representative of parents in those times.

Anya is finally rescued by American forces and marries Evan who brings her to America to start her life over again. Even the blessings of freedom and the birth of two precious daughters, and an ever loving/caring husband can not wipe out remembrances of the past. It is truly a work of art in the way the author has interchanged chapters of the present and the past, synchronizing them to keep the story moving forward without a sense of getting stuck in the past as so many authors
suffer from.

The final chapters in this book are truly mind-boggling as the author ties up the two stories and brings to the forefront lessons of the importance of family roots, the importance of truly 'listening' to each other and hearing the story behind the story. I'll not reveal the ending, which I've read at least three times, but let hasten to add, you will not be disappointed. I picked this book to be the first to read on my sabbatical because of its reference to roots, and it inspired me. Hope that you will read and find the same.
Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. St.Martin's Press, New York, N.Y., 2010
ISBN: 9780312663155

4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Are you on sabbatical now? If you have time and are around (I know you're doing some travelling) I'd love to get together for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sage
    Nope ..... only during January; and then January of next year.
    I'd love to share some java, and return your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. You might enjoy the book I reviewed here.

    (Full Disclosure: One of my wife's great uncles died outside Leningrad. His memorial is in the Catholic parish cemetery in the town mentioned here.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherm
    I remember the article from last January, thanks for reminding me. If I get the chance I will read HUNGER, its sounds interesting. There is also a book that the of Winter Garden referenced called 'The 900 Days' by Harrison E. SAlisbury.
    Good to hear from ya.

    ReplyDelete