Friday, February 25, 2011

An old book

While preparing a special wall in my office for 'family artifacts' that relate to my spiritual roots I came across an old book that my reverend uncle had. I had completely forgotten that I had it, and it went well with the subject being discussed in the Wed.nite Adult Bible Study.

It is a classic holiness book called 'Pentecostal Lights by A.M.Hills.'[I talked with a Librarian and there's a very good likely hood this may be a first edition, though it doesn't say that or that its a reprint??] First it was good to come across the book at such an appropriate time, second, it was really great to have a book printed in 1898 that was classic, and last but not least nearly every one of the 101 pages had been marked on by my uncle. There were some notes written out, but is also a lot of underlining and stars in the margins.....I guess now all I have to do is figure out the underlining [some of it is in different pencil/ink colors] and what the stars stand for, though chances are they will mostly go undetermined.

Probably my uncle never figured anyone would be reading his book, and if someone did they certainly would have little interest in his markings. All that to say this, the main reason I like read books is so that I can make notes and scribbling in them. A friend of mine this past weekend was telling me all about electronic devices[Nook] that let you read a book and make notations ... but there's something old school, and yes I believe beneficial, in doing it the old way! I feel there's that special ambiance, special smell to books as they age that draws you in; ask an old bookstore owner or customer. I have a really neat story about 'old' literature coming up in the near future .... and it goes back to 1940 and is from a cousin I never knew until last week that I had, stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Classic books of whatever subject are very cool and there will always be a market for them. To have one your uncle used makes it more valuable to you. Keep it safe.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be neat to see what his thoughts were (I often wonder what people think of my thoughts--whose who read my marked up books, which you've done!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess having books that my ancestors had is kind of on the order of having a cd of them, its not a video because there are no photo's, but there is their is their written words ...

    ReplyDelete