Sunday, July 25, 2010

Memories are Powerful!

This past Friday night, the 'good wife' and I went to a Michigan Ski Resort for a Pops Concert...it was a fulfilling experience. The Grand Rapids Symphony hosted the 'Spectrums' as they performed an evening of 'MOtown's Greatest Hits.' For those of us who are getting older, the tunes of the 60-70's hold many memories, especially for those of us who associate events with the popular songs of the times. Its the second year that we've gone ..... with literally thousands stretched out across the slopes, some sitting on blankets, others in chairs, many brought their dinners, and most of us at least had our drinks and snacks. All through the night there were two platforms for those who wanted to dance during the music. I thought since each song brought back a memory I would list the songs: 1] by the Temptations - 'Get Ready,' 'The Way You Do The Things You Do,' 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg,' 'I Can't Get Next To You,' 'I'm Gonna Make You Love Me,' 'My Girl,' and their first big seller 'Just My Imagination.' 2] by the Miracles - "OOh Baby, Baby,' 3]Delfonics - 'La La ... Means I Love YOu, 4]The Drifters - 'Under the Boardwalk,' 'Up On The Roof,' 5]James Brown - 'It's A Man's World,' 6]The Spinners - 'Rubberband Man,' 7]The Four Tops - 'Reach Out, I'll Be There,' 'I Can't Help Myself' 8]The O'Jays - 'Backstabbers,' 9] Stevie Wonder - 'Uptight,' and there was also a Medley of songs by Four Tops!

Then this past Saturday, we attended the funeral of the sister of a friend of my wife's; this was both a sweet/sour event for her - she got to see one of her best friends she rarely sees, but it was also because of the death of a relative. Following the reception [it was in the Big City East] we were able to go and spend a couple hours being with our Son and his family before we had to cross the state and return home.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great concert. I would've been "rockin'" with the best of 'em.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete