Friday, April 16, 2010

Prof. removed from course for tough grading.

Today there is quite an interesting article about a Prof. at LSU who was removed from a freshmen introductory course for grading to severely, and not grading on a curve. Now shamefully I must admit to have been a complainer. In a master's course I finished just a year ago I too complained that the prof. was too harsh. Over the two year span I had been getting fairly high grades, and my gpa was looking pretty good, I even had dreams of special recognition. Then I hit that last course, and the prof. of this class didn't acknowledge any curves. I also shamefully admit that I thought maybe if he'd just look at how I had really been doing well in the course he might consider a small exception; but then we all rationalize exceptions when comes to us. He didn't and I am glad, because if he had my focus might have been more on the gpa instead of what I was learning. I have a lot of respect for that prof. in sticking to his principals. The author of the article I've referred to did however mention that the prof. was not docked any pay or benefits; however I am convinced that LSU has suffered because of its actions. We already have to many expecting too much. Well the article reminded me of my guilt, but also gave me hope, knowing that there are still educators out there who believe good students shouldn't have to suffer because of others, and not so good students can be motivated to better themselves.
www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/04/professor_removed_for_tough_gr.html

6 comments:

  1. I am reminded of a thermodynamics professor I had in college. On one test, I scored a 30% and yet still got an A because he graded on the curve. He certainly wasn't doing me any favors because I incorrectly answered 70% of the problems. I suspect the reason he graded on the curve was because unless he did, it would be immediately clear that his teaching skills aren't very good if 100% of the class is failing. I still suffer in my profession when it comes to thermodynamic issues all because of this one professor. I think it should be school policy that all classes are graded on straight percentages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that's not fair!.............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed's point makes me wonder if a better way of evaluating profs (especially in a field like engineering) is to ask for student evaluations after they've been in the field for five years...

    I remember when working on a master's degree getting really pissed-off at a professor who, at the last minute granted a few students an extra few days for a paper. I struggled to get it in and did, but it wasn't my best work and got a B on it. They, having extra time, all got A's. But then there were the other profs who made us toe the line and docked them severely for late papers.

    btw, I got to hear Rhoda Janzen yesterday at Calvin. I enjoyed her talk and now want to read that book (which seems like a title of a guy's dream), "Mennonite in a Black Dress."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sage ..... believe me the book is anything but a guy's dream! ....... but its interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I didn't get to hear her; guess I'd better get more in tune with what's going on up there at Calvin. I'm going to make checking out their calendar a more regular event. thanks for the heads up Sage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post could inspire a very long entry of my own. Alas, I'd have to edit it, given that I blog in my own name and that I'd make reference to my college professor wife's experiences. Suffice it to say, professors are under intense pressures to maintain enrollments these days and many administrations believe that the easiest way to do that is to lower standards so that everyone passes. As Ed points out, that's not doing anybody any favors.

    I suppose the good news is that these pressures don't exist in places like medical schools where the ultimate outcomes, unlike Freshman Comp, are likely to have significant ramifications.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete